Being located in the south east asia may have economic advantages, but for the regular Filipina commuter in constant battle with the scorching heat of the sun and humid weather, the country’s placement is not that helpful. Imagine riding the MRT in rush hour going to a job interview. You wear your best eye palette, fake lashes and fool-proof foundation. The question is will it stand the test of Mr. Sunshine? More often than not, Filipinas find themselves in the beauty aisle searching for shine-free and water-proof makeup that keeps the work of art that is their face on for longer periods throughout the day. For a tropical country like the Philippines, these are some of your best bets for faces that don’t wear off.
- Have a penchant for BB Creams – Since BB Creams are more lightweight than the regular foundation, they will do a far better job in staying on come the sweat courtesy of humidity. You can also try tinted moisturizers in replacement for heavy foundations that tend to clump and cake when the temperature rises. Aside from coverage, BB Creams and tinted moisturizers have hydrating components as well as some SPF properties. That’s two features for the price of one.
- Setting sprays and powders – It is basic makeup knowledge to set the foundation using powder for a matte finish. But for a little bit of that dewy glow, opt for some setting spray instead. Some sprays double as toner or as moisturizer, so keep a look out for those bargain finds.
- Use sunblocks as base – If you are the type too lazy to bring out the umbrella, then skip the foundation and just lather on sunscreen before applying concealer to correct problem areas. Choose water-based sunblock for that non-sticky feel. Not only is this a melt-proof makeup hack, the SPF property of sunblock ensures protection from skin darkening and sun-related skin problems.
- Tints and balms over sticks – cracked lips due to heat and lack of moisture are things that can be remedied by choosing lip balms over lipsticks. You would want to have color without sacrificing the smoothness and hydration of your lips so go for products less heavy on the texture.
- Water-proof eyes – cat’s eye lovers, rejoice. Perfectly lined eyes are the way to go especially if you are armed with a good investment of water-resistant products. A variety of liners claiming invincibility against smudges and melting so be on the look out for the real water-proof liners. For lashes, try swiping a clear coat of mascara after your everyday one to seal it in.
- Primer, remember – an often overlooked portion of doing makeup is putting on primer. This is a must for tropical countries where perspiration is part of the everyday struggle. Different primers are available for the different skin types so look for the ones that are suitable for your type and don’t just settle for what a celebrity is using. When it comes to holding on to your makeup, having a primer in hand makes sure you don’t lose your face on the way to work or school.